Search Keyword

Saturday 11 July 2015

Time, Maker and Flesh | Chapel Notes


In the Thought was the Beginning. In the Beginning was the Wordand, hence, the world. Where can human thought reach that the Maker’s has not been before? All men are a roundabout phenomenon, grasping all, owning nothing. In the agelessness of Time they crouch and rave, create and re-create.

TIME. God created Time. He, thus, cannot be re-created by Time. For re-creation is deliberate enactment of change; and change, a confession of fault. More severely, of imperfection! Flesh, you will dare rein your Maker? Lay charge of Time’s variance upon Divine Omnipotence? Yank the course of yester-centuries?

 
I do not worship that which I can create, or re-create. 

Yet imbued by re-creative energies, Flesh slips into hubris, feud the dictates of Time to thwart forces. This strange venture is sometimes occasioned by unnatural human will. It is inspired by suspicion against Time’s immutability.

TIME. Invention of the Maker. Souvenir of blemish to the made, one whose bluff must be called and whose impotence must be demonstrated. Yet, Time is gift. For the corruptible. For the mortal. Oh Flesh, re-create thyself—not thy Maker—before that last severance, that sleep of death that is thine!

FLESH. The fuel of flesh is comfort. The comfort of flesh is faith. It transcends the logic of the intellectual, the innocence of the naïve, variations of the human void; for faith is not the disputation of mystery but the admission of it. I find it is myopic to lean on my own understanding. I am, perhaps, afflicted by that prudent aphorism: Credo ut intelligam, I believe so that I may understand. The Maker of Time unclutters this mind’s self-impelled knots.

The greatest weakness of man is doubt. Oh Maker, make me a man of faith, not this world’s ‘man of God’. Teach me to be a man of love, not this realm’s ‘man of the people’.

If I am not spawned by intent, to what extent shall existence garner meaning? To what extent? For God must be real, just as evil is; and faith must be real, as doubt is too.


I am certainly not a mistake. I am part of a world which does not seem to be so.

Is this mind too young for mysteries? Or, perchance, too worthy? It is human to grow. It is human to die. It is divine to show. It is divine to guide.

It is good to want good. It is better to want the Maker of good.

PROPHECIES. Prophecies are the voice of the Maker—prophecies and the infectious decibels of compassion. Compassion not self-atoning. Compassion not pompous. Under these, a human ceases to exist. All that remains is a demesne, a prison of passions stoked by demons from deeper spaces.

I strive to be human. By God, I strive. I am a follower of God and not of Man, of the Maker and not of the made. What is discipleship to mortal flesh if not the vanquishing of super-human vestiges? What, if not serfdom? Lobotomy? What?

I ask for I am a common pesterer of those common things.



*These thoughts were laid bare in the mind on a restive Sabbath. I have tried to recall scraps in the tranquility of another. 

Photo credit: Ayodimeji Olugbewesa.

12 comments:

  1. These words, as I reckon the blessings of the Sabbath, bring me a consciousness. Well written brother mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oyin...you astound me. Worship the Maker not the made. Awe inspiring. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow

    All these are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waooo, this poem is inspiring. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's the word samuel. Its beautiful. Your words capture the human soul. It's sincere. Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am encouraged Sir. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very brautiful a piece of writing... really glad I read

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is discipleship to mortal flesh if not the vanquishing of super-human vestiges? hmmn, this got me pensive..wonderful piece! i totally love it..ride on Oyin!
    - Opijay

    ReplyDelete
  9. These words are deep and precious

    ReplyDelete
  10. " The greatest weakness of man is doubt. Oh Maker, make me a man of faith, not this world’s ‘man of God’. Teach me to be a man of love, not this realm’s ‘man of the people’." - It sort of encompasses everything that the rabble rousing religious minions are - and what they should not be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LET US QUIT THE GOSSIP AND START MAKING MONEY WITH OUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS……. MAKE MONEY ONLINE IN NIGERIA EARNREALPAY
    http://www.earnrealpay.net/aff/go/melvinkings
    Make ₦470,000 MOTHLY INTO YOUR LOCAL BANK ACCOUNT GUARANTEED! MAKE MONEY ONLINE FROM NIGERIA
    http://www.earnrealpay.net/aff/go/melvinkings
    No More Hiding of IP ADDRESS.
    No More LIBERTYRESERVE.
    No More FAKE SEMINARS.
    No More ALERTPAY.
    No More PAYPAL.
    No More E-GOLD.
    No More TRASH.
    No More STORY.
    From Now On, Every Money You Make Will Go Straight Into Your Nigerian Local Bank Account Guaranteed.
    http://www.earnrealpay.net/aff/go/melvinkings

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?